For more information about George Fellowes Prynne, follow this link to take you to a specialist website....
The church was enlarged in 1886-87 by a second architect: George H. Fellowes Prynne.
Left: The top of the round turret lies in the front garden of the church after a flying bomb landed and demolished the house opposite the church on Sunday 1st August 1944.
George H. Fellowes Prynne
Second architect of St Peter's
As planned by George Fellowes Prynne
The following extract decribes the sequence of events leading to the current building plan from :
'Norwood: Churches', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 173-180
In 1882 the parochial committee instructed G. H. Fellowes Prynne to prepare designs for the completion of the church. His first plans (which are illustrated in The Builder, July 17, 1886) provided for the addition of two more bays to the nave, a tower at the north-west corner and a terrace at the west end with a crypt below. On the north side there was to be an enlarged vestry, and on the south side a chapel with groined apsidal sanctuary. At the junction of the chancel and nave roofs he placed a flèche, which was to house the sanctus bell and form part of the ventilation system. These plans (pictured left) were put out to tender but the committee found it impossible to carry out the work. A second set of plans was also abandoned. A new committee was then formed, and Fellowes Prynne received fresh instructions “to make out a new scheme on somewhat hard and fast lines, rendering it necessary for him to make a building more picturesque than imposing”. These plans (below) provided for the addition of two bays to the nave and a projecting octagonal baptistery at the west end. The work was carried out in 1886–7, and the contractors were J. and C. Bowyer of Upper Norwood.
Right: A sketch of the interior (from the third set of plans) which shows the rose window, two new bays for the nave, a traceried entrance to the baptistery.
Apart from certain details this is very close to the completed plan.
Above: The striking first design by Fellowes Prynne for a tower, fléche and two-story vestries.
Left: The font designed by Fellowes Prynne is used by Canon Charles Smith in the 1950s.